Oil/cardboard, 70 x 97 cm, on the reverse estate stamp. - Figure, landscape a. marine painter. G. was pupil of P. Duyffcke in Hamburg a. studied 1882-89 at the Karlsruhe academy under G. Schönleber a. F. Keller as well as under W. A. Bouguereau at the Académie Julian in Paris. G. taught at the Hamburg art school since 1890 a. at the Karlsruhe academy since 1893. He was made professor in 1903. He was founder of the Vereins Württembergische Kunstfreunde.