Oil/canvas, 74,5 x 91 cm, lo. le. fragment of a signature J. B. We(enix), on the reverse stamped coat of arms GR with a croen, on the stretcher as well as on the frame labels of the Fideikommiß-Galerie Hannover, min. rest., relined. - Exhibition: Provinzialmuseum Hannover, 1857-1925. - Provenance: Collection D. C. B. Hausmann (1784-1873); 1857 king George V of Hannover; 1868 sequestrated by the State of Prussia a. on exhibition in the Provinzialmuseum Hannover; 1925 auction house Rudolf Lepke, Berlin; Hamburg private collection. - Dutch landscape a. figure painter. W. was son of an architect a. learned painting in the studios of A. Bloemaert a. N. Moeyaert. In 1643 he went to Rome where he joined the Dutch artist's group 'Bentveughels' a. worked for pope Innocence X. In 1647 he returned to Amsterdam, in 1649 he was head of the Utrecht St. Luke's guild. W. specialized in Italian landscapes with ruins, herdsmen a. animals. Among his pupils were his son, the still life a. landscape painter Jan W., as well as the animal painter M. de Hondecoeter.