Oil/canvas, 66 x 54 cm, lo. ri. sign. a. dat. Van Loo 1759, some rest., relined. - Splendid original frame. - Prov.: 1942 collection Comte Aragli Trotti, Paris; 1943 Gallery Almas Dietrich, Munich, from where bought for the so called 'Führermuseum' in Linz (Inv. no. 2486); Central Art Collecting Point of the Allied Forces, Munich (M. 2573); 1946 restituted to France; Gallery Pardo, Paris. - French portrait a. history painter from a dynasty of artist, son a. pupil of Jean-Baptiste v. L., he also studied at the Paris academy, where he was awarded a first prize as early as 1726, in 1728 he accompanied his uncle Charles-André v. L. a. his brother François to Rome, where he met F. Boucher, after working for the court of Turin in 1732 he became painter to the court in Madrid in 1736 where he was among the co-founders of the local academy, back in Paris in 1753 he worked for Louis XV a. was appoointed director of the 'École Royale des Élèves Protégés'. - Mus.: Paris (Louvre), Madrid (Prado), St. Petersburg (Hermitage), Versailles a. others. - Lit.: Thieme-Becker, Bénézit.