Silesia, 2nd half of 15th cent. Limewood, carved, H. 128 cm, w. 46 cm, prof rest., scepter added. - With extensive expertise of Rolf Karl-Heinz Affeld Hamburg and a wood analysis of the Niedersächsischen Landesamtes für Bodenforschung (1991). - Prov.: Hamburg Privat Collection. - The sculpture of St. Margaret is worked in the Late Gothic tradition of Veit Stoss and Tilmann Riemenschneider and comes from the altar of the local church of Niedergöllschau (Silesia, near Görlitz in Upper Lusatia). On the altarpiece the St. Margaret appeared beside St. Dorothea, St. Catherine and St. Elizabeth on the sides of the altar wings around a central statue of the Madonna. The dilapidated local church was demolished in 1935. The sculptures were found in the attic, where they came by purchase into the private collection in Hamburg.