Oil/cardboard, 53,5 x 46 cm, lo. ri. sign. Max Wislicenus, on the reverse titled 'Chinesischer Pavillon Pillnitz'. - German landscape a. figure painter from a family of artists. W. studied at the Düsseldorf academy under W. Sohn a. E. von Gebhardt. He moved to Munich a. continued his studies under B. Piglhein. He assisted his father in painting the Kaisersaal in Goslar. In 1896 he became professor in Breslau a. developed into one of the most important designer for woven wall hangings. - Lit.: Thieme-Becker, Vollmer.