Oil/wood, 38 x 50 cm, on the reverse fragment of a label as well as indististinct signature by another hand, rest. - One of the most important German painters of the 18th cent. from a dynasty of artists. After apprenticeship in Kassel 1736-41 he continued his studies in the studios of C. van Loo in Paris a. G. B. Piazzetta in Venice. In 1753 he was made painter to the court in Kassel, in 1756 also professor.