Ca. 1923, oil/canvas, 46,5 x 55 cm, lo. ri. sign. L. Valtat, on the reverse fragment of a customs label. - Expert report: Julien Valtat, Choisel, 16.12.2011. The painting will be included as no. 4611 in the catalogue raisoné beeing prepared. - Prov.: Bought by Erna Rehwoldt in France before 1934, thence by descent. Erna Rehwoldt was friends with A. Rodin, S. Zweig and E. Verhaeren whose poems she translated into German. - Early in his artistic career Valtat, through Bonnard, Denis a. Vuillard, got to know the two-dimensional style of Gauguin, but only after a fauvist a. pointillist period he adopted it. - French painter, as main exponent of fauvism one of the pioneers of avantgarde, since 1887 he studied at the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris under G. Boulanger, B. Constant a. J. Lefebvre as well as at the Académie Julian where he made friends with P. Bonnard a. E. Vuillard, but also with M. Denis a. A. André, since 1893 he exhibited at the Salon des Indépendants, the year after he collaborated with H. de Toulouse-Lautrec a. A. André in creating the interior of the Paris theatre "L'Oeuvre", some of his paintings shown at the Salon exhibition in 1896 were the founding artworks of the style later to be called Fauvism, during his winterly sojourns on the Mediterranean Sea he met Signac, Renoir a. Maillol, since 1900 he was under contract with A. Vollard, in 1927 he was created chevalier of the Legion of Honour. - Mus.: Paris (Mus. Orsay a. others), St. Petersburg (Eremitage), New York (MOMA, Metrop. Mus.), Cologne (Wallraf-Richartz-Mus.), Moscow, Brussels, Geneve, Tokyo a. others. - Lit.: Thieme-Becker, Vollmer, Bénézit a. others.